I didn't just want to make a list of stuff that has happened to me, but of things that I made a conscious choice to do. Because I feel like making an innocuous list of what you'd like to do is just that: an innocuous list. My list of things has been a series of choices, each one leading to something awesome. A lot of things were extremely scary or out of my comfort zone, but I am extremely proud of all of them.
Without further ado,
35 Things I Did Before Turning 35!
1. Lived in another country for an extended period of time. Do this. It expands your world and makes you appreciate home.
2. Moved away from my childhood home. Not an easy one, but another thing I highly recommend. It makes you stronger.
3. Drove across the United States.
4. Went to a midnight movie premiere in costume.
5. Went to a midnight book premiere in costume.
6. Dated a good boy whose heart I broke. Probably not good for him, but good for me.
7. Dated a bad boy who broke my heart. Not good for me at the time, but extremely good in the long run.
8. Married an amazing man who keeps my heart safe.
9. Struggled to conceive.
10. Started and ended a failed business of my own. The failure was difficult, but was so important to teach me what I was capable of, and also what my limitations were.
11. Started and maintained a thriving business of my own. Without the failure of the first, the second business would not have been possible.
12. Went skydiving.
13. Went snorkeling. This was a huge accomplishment, as I am frightened of the ocean.
14. Discovered my own chili recipe.
15. Learned to play an instrument.
16. Sang professionally for several summers.
17. Performed twice for a sold-out stadium.
18. Camped out on the Great Wall of China.
19. Spent 10 amazing summers at camp.
20. Wrote and performed a one-woman play.
21. Stood in line for hours to meet my favorite celebrity.
22. Ran a marathon.
23. Was seen twice on a nationally televised TV show.
24. Visited the Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza.
25. Climbed out to a precipitous point at the Grand Canyon.
26. Hiked up Mount Sinai and watched the sun rise.
27. Wrote and recorded an original song.
28. Gave birth to a baby.
29. Got thisclose to being drunk, but not enough to make bad choices, and didn't wake up with a hangover.
30. Took a girl's trip to Vegas and danced the night away.
31. Slept in a hut in the jungle, woke up the next morning with a 4-inch spider in the bathroom (not a good moment).
32. Bought my dream car with my own money that I earned.
33. Sailed on the Sea of Galilee.
34. Transferred schools going into high school. Best. Decision. Ever.
35. Have had my hair cut and colored in every configuration imaginable. This was a lesson learned from my mom. She would always say, "It's just hair. Be glad you have some." Coming from a woman who spent most of the last 20 years of her life without any, it was great advice. I had fun going through old pics to see some of my former styles. I couldn't find any pics of my red hair, but you get the gist.